Denise Goldberg's blog

Along the spine of the Rockies
My first self-contained (bicycle) tour

Wednesday, July 22, 1998

Montana: Seely Lake to Swan Lake

I'm sitting in "town" waiting for my laundry to finish. There's not much here - just a market with a shower and laundry - but clean was a big draw today, so I rode back after setting up camp. It's a nice campground. The group campsite is closed (no groups, I guess), so they reserved it for cyclists. It has big grassy areas with some shade, much nicer than the regular area of the campground that is set up more for folks with RVs.





I had a late start this morning - didn't get up until 7:45. I guess I needed the sleep.

It was a beautiful ride today, with the Mission Mountains to the west and the Swan range to the east. I have to remember to turn around and look behind me more - can't always see the mountains in the direction I am traveling.

I met 2 women this morning - one from Belgium and one from France. They have been on the road about a year, and have at least one more year to go. They've biked South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, then up the west coast of the US (California), up to Jasper & Banff (Alberta), back through Yoho and Kootenany. They're headed for Yellowstone now, then eventually to South America. I'm definitely jealous.



Interesting - I seem to be seeing a lot of people using BOB trailers. I counted all of the sightings since the beginning of the trip, and I've seen 4 people with trailers and 5 with panniers. I'm using panniers, and didn't really consider the trailer. It will be interesting (someday) to compare them.