Denise Goldberg's blog

Along the spine of the Rockies
My first self-contained (bicycle) tour

Tuesday, July 21, 1998

Montana: Missoula to Seely Lake

It was a hard day of riding today. The first 30 miles were at a slight uphill grade, with a wicked headwind. That was problem number 1. Problem number 2 was that I think I was operating at a calorie deficit. Mickey & I found a really neat bakery this morning - had very good walnut current rolls and yogurt for breakfast. That should have been enough, but it appears that I should have stuck with my standard breakfast of oatmeal. I really know better...

I think I'm back to normal now - I drank a lot of fruit juice and ate constantly all afternoon. Someone asked me if I am losing weight on this trip, and I don't have a clue since the only pants/shorts that I have with me are either biking shorts or they have a drawstring waistband! My biggest concern is having enough energy to support my riding.

I ran into another cross-country biker this morning (going in the other direction). We stood on the road and talked for the better part of an hour before we headed off again.


I ended up camping at Seeley Lake. It is much larger than the other campgrounds I stayed in - 50 sites, and not much interaction between the people in the different sites. But that's OK because I can use an evening to myself - and an early night. I really didn't sleep that well the 2 nights in Missoula. Interesting that I'm sleeping better outdoors and on the ground! I'm sitting in the tent writing because the mosquitos have come out in force. I still don't have the rainfly on the tent - still too hot. I'm assuming that I may need to start using it soon - let's see how much it cools off at night here (to say nothing of rain...).

I've started seeing some really cute little black squirrels - and they are doing a lot of chattering.