Denise Goldberg's blog

Along the spine of the Rockies
My first self-contained (bicycle) tour

Friday, July 24, 1998

Montana: rest day in Kalispell

I had a nice relaxing day today. Went to the craft show in town. There was some really nice and inexpensive pottery. But I just looked, didn't buy anything. I obviously can't carry it on the bike, and I didn't feel like dealing with packing and shipping it home. I picked up a walking tour guide of Kalispell and rode by some of the places. Then I picked up a nice picnic lunch and sat in a woodland park for a while. I checked into the hotel in the afternoon and sat by (and in) the pool and hot tub for a while. I met some people from Calgary. They told me that my planned route through BC wasn't the most direct route to Banff, and recommended that I go via Kananaskis. I already knew that (who says that going in a straight line between point A and point B is the best way to get there?), but I'd really like to get to Kootenay National Park, so I'll continue on the Adventure Cycling route. I still think I will have time for a side trip to Kananaskis when I get to Banff.