Denise Goldberg's blog

Along the spine of the Rockies
My first self-contained (bicycle) tour

Sunday, July 26, 1998

Montana: Over Logan Pass

Boy am I glad I went to Avalanche yesterday. It would have been very difficult for me to finish the pass by 11 if I had started at Apgar. The gear on the bike definitely slowed me down - to between 4 and 5 miles per hour on the steep section, 12 miles at about a 6% grade. I left the campground at 6:30am, and arrived at the top at 10 - 3 1/2 hours of elapsed time, and about 2 hours 45 minutes of riding time.



Tim was right last night. It took 1 1/2 hours to break camp, even without cooking breakfast. I was actually glad to hear him say it was taking him an hour and 15 minutes because I thought I must be moving at a ridiculously slow pace. It doesn't take anywhere near that amount of time to set up camp!

Back to the riding. It was definitely a hard climb - and harder than the other time I rode up Going to the Sun Highway, but that time I wasn't riding a loaded bike. I rode with Gerard and Corry for a while, then saw them again at the summit.











I walked to the Hidden Lake overlook with some people from Connecticut. I also spoke with some of the Tri-cities cyclists again - seems to be a really nice group.



I ended up spending several hours at Logan Pass. What an amazing place. I really think it is the most beautiful place I have seen. There were marmots, Columbian ground squirrels and mountain goats wandering around. The wildflowers were in bloom and were gorgeous. A number of trails were closed due to bear activity. In fact, the Hidden Lake overlook was as far as you could go in the direction I was walking before you hit a trail closure. I didn't get to see a bear today. The squirrels were really funny through. They weren't begging for food, but they did seem to be posing for the camera. They had a short tail, a fat little body, and made a loud cheeping sound.


My friends, the ground squirrels


A marmot, on his way to?







I decided to ride to Saint Mary. Headed down the east side of Logan Pass. The road condition wasn't too smooth, so I was using the brakes quite a bit. I had to stop several times to let my rims cool down.

I checked out the St. Mary national park campground and found out that they didn't have a hiker biker site. I could have stayed in a regular site, but for the same price I could stay at a private campground just outside of the park and have access to a shower. So I opted for Johnson's campground. I met a couple from the Netherlands at the campsite across from mine. They are also riding the Adventure Cycling Great Parks route, but in the other direction. They confirmed the 12% grade out of Radium Hot Springs, but said that it wasn't that long. I think I need to not worry about it - if my legs (or knees) decide they don't want to ride that grade, I can always walk it! I do need to figure out the days between now and when I need to be in Banff - but I'll do that later. Tomorrow I'm going to head to Many Glacier to do some hiking.


St. Mary Lake