Denise Goldberg's blog

Along the spine of the Rockies
My first self-contained (bicycle) tour

Friday, July 17, 1998

Idaho: Orofino to Apgar campground

62 miles was a little more than I planned to do on this very hot day, but the miles just keep clicking away. I saw one thermometer (in the sun) that said 105 degrees.

Another day of beautiful scenery. It's been a slight uphill grade all along, but it looks like the grade will start to get steeper tomorrow. I've just passed the junction of the Clearwater, Selway and Lochsa rivers, and I'll be following the Lochsa for the rest of my time in Idaho.

I was hoping to stay at Three Rivers Campground, but it was full. This was my first experience with private campgrounds that wouldn't bend the rules for a cyclist - although I told them I was willing to pay a full site fee, they wouldn't let me pitch my little tent on a small unused patch of land. I rode on to the Apgar Forest Service campground, which was also full, and in the midst of an annual family reunion. The campground only had 7 sites, but all of them were filled with the family reunion. They graciously offered to share a site with me, and invited me to share their dinner as well.

I noticed some strange creaks from the bike toward the end of the day - so my first job after getting into camp was to tighten the spokes on the rear wheel. It still seems to be round, just loose. Here's hoping that this fixes the problem, because I'm a couple of days away from a bike shop!

No showers here, and there are probably none the next few nights. The river feels good though, even though it is very cold. It's so hot that I didn't even think about using the rainfly on the tent, so I went to bed hoping that we didn't have any wild rainstorms overnight.




Who balanced the rocks?