Denise Goldberg's blog

Along the spine of the Rockies
My first self-contained (bicycle) tour

Sunday, August 2, 1998

British Columbia: Skookumchuck to Radium Hot Springs

This time it didn't rain all night, but the rainfly was still soaked when I packed up the tent. I packed everything up, then headed to the restaurant across the street for breakfast. Pat was already there, so we had breakfast together. I learned from his order though. He had ordered a "pancake sandwich". Sandwich was just the name though, everything was served separately on a plate, 2 eggs, bacon, 2 pancakes. I ordered the same thing, but requested only one pancake, and a smaller one at that. The standard size pancake here is larger than a dinner plate! The quantity of food they served at that restaurant was pretty impressive.



Not a bad ride today, but somehow it was 7 miles further than I'd figured. I followed the map and took Westside Road which gets you off of the highway for 15 miles. It also cut about 6 miles from the route, but I'm not sure it was worth it. It was a very quiet road, which was nice, but the road surface was lousy. There were some short, steep hills on both ends, plus a mega-steep hill climbing back out of Invermere. I think I might have actually been happier on the highway. (I never thought I'd say that...) I don't know what the temperature actually was today, but by late afternoon if felt very hot.

I arrived in Radium Hot Springs (the town, I didn't go up to the pools) to find all but one of the campgrounds full. And unlike last night they wouldn't bend the rules and allow an extra tent in. I might have been able to share a site at one of the public campgrounds, but the closest one is 1 1/2 miles up a very steep hill, and I was just too lazy (or tired) to ride that without knowing there was a space for me. When I stopped at a gas station in town to ask about campgrounds, the woman running the station was kind enough to call around for me to find an available campsite. The only one available was at a place called The Prospector. It's another funky roadside campground, but it works! It was run by a young guy, who suggested that I take one of the sites by the road because they are quieter... he kind of figured I'd want a good night's sleep (and he was right!) so he steered me away from the rowdier inhabitants. Unfortunately, they recommend that the water here be boiled - so I walked back into town to get some bottled water. Guess this type of place is what you end up with then you pull into town on the Sunday night of a holiday weekend without reservations! The campground is odd, but the people are not. My neighbors at the next site are pretty nice, and of course I've met all of the people with dogs - which is natural for someone who likes animals!

Tomorrow is going to be a tough riding day - starting with a very steep hill. Here's hoping I fall asleep quickly tonight.