Denise Goldberg's blog

Along the spine of the Rockies
My first self-contained (bicycle) tour

Thursday, August 6, 1998

Alberta: Banff to Castle Junction to Banff

I decided to ride to Castle Junction and back just for exercise. Nice ride - mostly an uphill grade on the way out, downhill on the way back. I saw some big horned sheep and an elk on the way out. I could have happily strangled some of the drivers though. They saw the animals, stopped their cars in the middle of the road, and got out of their cars to get closer. I really wish that more people understood that this is the animal's habitat, not ours, and that we should respect their space. I forgot to mention it the other day - but on my first trip from Castle Junction to Banff I saw what I think is a family of fox or wolves. They had big bushy tails, gray coats, larger animals than the red fox that I've seen at home. My first thought was that they were wolves, but the bushy tail made me think they could be fox. I'll try to stop by the visitor center in Banff later to see if I can talk to a naturalist. I also saw some osprey - which I saw again today. They have a nest on top of a utility pole by the railroad tracks. The tracks are in a dip below the road, so I could see several birds in the nest.



It was very hazy and smokey today. I asked someone in Castle Junction about it. It turns out that there are two big fires in British Columbia that started with lightening strikes two day ago. Apparently they were evacuating people yesterday. One fire is in Kamloops, and I'm not sure where the other one is. I hope they get the fires under control soon - both for the people the fires are affecting, and for my selfish wish for a clear view of the mountains! The person I was talking to about the fires said that this happens every summer.



Back to Banff. I checked into the bed & breakfast at about 2. (I had made reservations for 3 nights of my trip - the first night in Lewiston, ID, tonight in Banff, which is the night before the start of the Backroads portion of my trip, and the last night in Edmonton, AB.) The B&B is lovely, and just a short walk across the river into Banff.

I walked into Banff to pick up the package I had shipped to myself at Mailboxes, Etc. Unfortunately, when I got there I was told that the package was in Calgary because I owe duty on it. I should have known better - I should have taken the time to find a UPS office in Lewiston instead of asking the hotel to ship it for me. I almost told Mailboxes Etc. to tell UPS to ship it back home, but then realized it would cost me more to replace the contents here than to pay the duty. UPS has promised a morning delivery tomorrow. The package only contained personal belongings, but without the right paperwork they charge duty. I could probably straighten it out if I had enough time, but it just didn't seem worth the effort. So I paid the $15 (US) to get my duffel bag for packing everything in for the plane trip home, along with the extra sunscreen, contact lens solution, and a couple of books I'd thrown in for the plane trip home. I also took the opportunity to ship my cooking gear home since I won't need it for the rest of the trip - with the appropriate government paperwork for unaccompanied belongings this time!

Right now I'm just waiting for my laundry to finish, then I'll wander around town for a while and find some dinner.

...after dinner I went to a presentation on bears at the visitor center. After the presentation I talked to an interpretive ranger about the animals I saw yesterday. She said that the fox here are small too. At first she said that the animals might have been coyote - until I told her they were gray, fairly large, and that there were 5 or 6 of them. She's pretty sure that they were wolves. It's pretty unusual to see wolves, but they were the wrong color for coyotes, and the coyote is a solitary animal where the wolf travels in packs. And there is a wolf pack in the area. I guess I was very lucky. It was early in the morning so there weren't any cars on the road, and the bike is so quiet that I didn't scare them.

This B&B ended up being in a great location for me. It's a ten minute walk to town. They had me put the bike in their garage, which has a central support post that I could use as a "locking post".

Tomorrow I think I'll start at Cave & Basin, and then I'll probably ride the Vermillion Lakes area. I'm not sure what else I'll do - besides stopping at Mailboxes, Etc. at noon to pick up my package. I meet the Backroads group in the afternoon, so I'll still have plenty of time to sit by the river and relax.