Denise Goldberg's blog

Along the spine of the Rockies
My first self-contained (bicycle) tour

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Introduction

First, a warning. The photos in this journal are from pre-digital days. Not only that, the only "scanned" copies I have were saved from the the previous home of this journal, so the quality is questionable at best. I've included them here to provide a taste of the land I was passing through. Clearly I need to visit the area again with my current skills and cameras.




Thinking back to the beginning of 1998... I had it in my mind and heart that I wanted to try self-contained touring - but it took a bit of thought and arguing with myself to finally realize it was the right thing for me to do. When I look back on it now, I don't know why I ever doubted it. If touring is something that interests you --- go for it! It's a fabulous way to travel and to meet people. Loading touring bikes seem to be a magnet for good conversations with strangers!

When I was in my "go for it, don't go for it mode", I remember that most of the people I talked to about it thought I was more than a little "out on a tether", since they couldn't image trying the same thing. My true friends - and the folks in my favorite bike shop - knew that I was heading in the right direction for me!

Before 1998, I had done a number of 1 and 2-week supported tours. I loved traveling by bike, and I could probably continue doing supported tours, but many of the organized tours didn't travel to the places that I wanted to see, and they didn't provide the level of challenge the type of distance I wanted. I spent some time arguing with myself over whether I really wanted to do this. Of course the nice thing about arguing with yourself is that you always win! And of course my decision was Yes.

Part of my argument with myself was that I didn't have a bike suitable for loaded touring. I was in the "I can't do a trip without getting a bike, but if I'm not sure I'm going to go on a trip then I don't need a bike" Catch-22 mode. OK, OK, it was a silly argument. I obviously needed to get the bike that would allow me to try my new adventure. After looking at the stock bikes on the market at the time, I decided that I wouldn't be happy with any of them, and I knew deep down that I was going to love touring - so I splurged on a custom-made bicycle from Peter Mooney. Peter built me a beautiful bike, and both he and the other folks at Belmont Wheelworks gave me a lot of support in learning and making decisions on bicycle components, panniers, general touring, and learning basic bicycle mechanics.

While Peter was busy building my frame - I moved on to the joy of choosing the geography for my first tour. I couldn't swing the time off to do a full cross-country tour, but I could manage a month off. I decided to spend my month in the northern Rockies - starting by riding across the panhandle of Idaho, then north through Montana and on to the Canadian Rockies in Alberta and British Columbia.